Forum > General Discussion

ANNUAL AIRSHOW August 13, 2022 - SURVEYS of the Good, the Bad, and The Wishlist

(1/1)

Gary Whitlark:
AIRSHOW August 13, 2022 -  SURVEYS of the good, the bad, and the Wishlist

We the Hamburg RC Club have just completed our X? Annual Airshow for the public.  Thanks to the support of our moms, Wives, Girlfriends, Club supporters, generous friends, RC Raceway supporters, and our members old and young.   I received at least four compliments of a great show from the public and families. 

While it is fresh in our experiences and minds, I would like to open these discussions about it.  The Good, Bad, wishlist, and apologies if required. 

The Good,
1) The food services were great thanks to the attentive, generous, funny, and intergenic volunteers.
2) The announcers did a fantastic job.
3) The Flightline was kept much fuller.
4) Our pilot skills have much improved.  I witnessed tricks from others that will challenge me for a long time.
5) Great to see old and new friends get together to enjoy the hobby and each other.
6) Old AMA magazines give away worked better with the personal touch of offering to the audience.  Some were left after they were reviewed only to be able to be offered and taken again.   We could have used more airplanes, cars, aircraft, and military airplane magazines.
7) The choice to hold the event even without the outlook of perfect weather was the right one!  Amazing attendance even with pending rain.
8) The public and I enjoyed Matt's large electric car during the intermission.  The majority of the crowd was captivated by the initial runs.  The great exposure of the proposed Raceway.  I hope on keeping the raceway open to larger vehicles until it is proven we cannot maintain it.   I apologize that it did not occur to me at the time to drive my smaller cars (Rustler and Night Crawler) at the same time.  Maybe next event or year?   
9) ?
10)?

The Bad,
1) Nervous newer flyers did not fly in front of the public.  We have all been there.  It is a personal judgment, challenge, and skill option to acquire.  My apology I place here.  I and fellow pilots are here to support everyone's needs that they let us know about.  We are there if requested right beside you to help and even give you as many breaks as you request.  We will provide within our skill set; encouragement, the distraction of multi-aircraft flight, slow flyers together,  flight checks, take-offs, landings, and simple safe tricks, as the airplane owners see fit and request.  And anything else to help, please ask.  I apologize that I did not offer this verbally when I saw my younger self in someone else.
2) Some smaller electric park scale flyers were not represented.  It is always a personal choice.  We do enjoy seeing them and showing the public the wide range of choices. 
3) No supporting clubs or experts that I recognized at the event. 
4) No helicopters represented.
5) Not enough quads displayed.
6) Little scale and military representation.
7)  ?

WISHLIST   
1) More magazines to hand out.  CAR mags, Model rockets, aviation pilots magazines, AMA magazines, and? 
2) Add tail gate swapmeet to the event open to other clubs out in the festival field.  Add prices to items displayed and contact phone for those interested so the vendor is not tied down is their option and risk. 
3) Club to acquire their own public shade cover.
4) More large planes flying.
5) Smaller park airplanes flying. 
6) Club trainers or open flying, to close the event. 
7) Perfect weather!
8) Upgraded or performance-improved charging stations to support more pilots.
9) Remember to take pictures and videos.  I missed it all.
10) OPEN Car Raceway during all events.
11) Helicopters
12) More Quads.
13) More scale aircraft.
14) More support and earlier road signage.
15) Social media Public Event posting 30-7 days prior to the event.  Local RC Clubs. Facebook Event creation, Senior citizen center flyer, Multiple Facebook community groups (Pinckney, Hell, Howell, Brighton, Whitmore lake, Ann Arbor, Chelsea,  Next door application, and ?.   I (Gary W ) am willing to attempt or assist with this by covering the facebook part. 
16) RC Simulator prior to event confirmation of setup.   Runoff battery or solar station? 
17) Buddy boxing, then open flying after the event. 
18) Parking ribbon anticipation larger public participation.
19) Additions?

Please feel free to comment and add to these lists.
Pictures and videos are appreciated.  I want images of Matt's car running.

Michael Cuddington:
I took a few pics and a couple of short videos with my iPhone but the forum site wont let me post pics saved in Apple's HEIC/HEIF format.   Is it possible to allow those formats? 

I am one of the newbies who didn't want to fly in front of non-members.   I really have flown now only three times (days), maybe 12 flights.  I ended up flying later Saturday night after the show and I am glad I chose not to fly in front of the crowd.  Once I acquire some skill, I will certainly participate as a pilot.  The pilots that did fly showed great skills.  I did support the club and show by bringing four of my planes for static display and at least two of the the Cub Float Plane and the Hangar 9 P51 Mustang got a lot of interest.  I also talked with some show attendees during the break, at least one of which my be interested in joining the club now that he is retired. 

I too was hoping to see more warbirds/military or just larger scale, as that is what really catches my interest.  I dont know what planes fellow members own, so I was anxious to see what people brought. 

I completely agree about getting the word out sooner and with reminders via social media formats like Facebook via the Hamburg Flyers FB page or posts in the Hamburg Township Residents FB Group/Brighton MI Happenings FB Group, etc.  I did actually see a post in the Hamburg Township Residents FB Group asking about the air show which Joanna responded to  earlier and more frequently. I think we missed the boat on that, but then again, I dont know what draws more, road signage or social media?

Gary Whitlark:
Do you want to attempt to email the video?  I have time to try and convert it. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version